I have lost count of how many times I have made this recipe and who I have made it for– all I know is that it is ALWAYS a huge hit. It’s a favorite for both my hubby AND kids, which is rare, and I think the only thing I make that they all go back for seconds for, which just makes me happy.
I originally found the recipe from delicious magazine U.K. But the consistency of the sauce would change every time I made it– sometimes creamy, other times watery, and I couldn’t figure out why. So I recreated the recipe using a foolproof sauce in the blender, which won’t separate or dilute after baking. I also subbed out the creme fraiche for low fat neufchâtel cheese. Now this recipe checks so many of my important boxes: quick, easy (and foolproof), healthy (enough), pleases both adults and kids, and it looks beautiful too! Def. a fave and a keeper in our house, and I hope in yours too! 🙂
Chicken, Kale & Mushroom Pot Pie
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 3 tsp lazy garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp (herbox) chicken bouillon
- 3 oz low fat Neufchatel cheese
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp grainy Dijon
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 /2 bunch kale, coarsely chopped
- 1 Pkg Puff Pastry, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 400degF.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, garlic and chicken, and cook for 8-10 mins until the chicken is done, or no longer pink on the inside.
- Add the butter to the pan, and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the water, chicken bouillon, cream cheese, flour, salt and mustard, and blend until smooth.
- Add the mixture to the saucepan, stirring constantly over medium heat, until thick and creamy. Take off the heat and stir the kale in to the pan. Transfer to a pie dish.
- Roll out one sheet of puff pastry. Brush the edges of the pie dish with beaten egg, and place the puff pastry to completely cover the mixture.
- Decorate with the other sheet of puff pastry, or simply score an X-shape in the center of the pie to vent.
- Glaze all over with beaten egg and bake for 30 mins, until golden.