I don’t think I have been this excited about a recipe before!…
I am a HUGE fan of Beef and Barley Stew. My mother in law introduced me to it a few years ago, which she served up with her soft home-made dinner rolls and raspberry jam, and it quickly became one of my favorite dinners in the whole world! When i’m feeling cheeky enough i’ll sweetly request her to make it– but recently I found out how much work and time is put into her recipe, so it was time to create my own.
I wanted to save time and work with mine, so I knew this had to be an Instant pot recipe! Last week I made a series of “blah” recipes that didn’t make the Blog, and just as I was getting ready to shelf my Instant Pot, I created THIS… and it’s not only the best Beef and Barley Stew I have ever tried (sorry mother in law, I still love yours SO much!!) But this might just be THE BEST recipe I have ever created. I’m pretty proud of it, and SO excited to share it!
The secret is in the final step that takes it above and beyond! A little added butter and balsamic makes this stew so rich, thick, and smooth! It’s beefy, salty, hearty and perfect for a cold winter’s evening!
Heavenly Instant Pot Beef & Barley Stew
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 45 Mins
(For the Instant Pot)
- 3 Lbs Beef Chuck Roast, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 3 tsp lazy garlic
- 3 large/4 small carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups water
- 6 tsp beef bouillon (herb ox brand is my fave)
- Fresh thyme
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp high quality balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp flour
1. Rinse and drain the pearl barley and set aside.
2. Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot, and pour 2 Tbsp olive oil into the pot.
3. Add the beef, season very generously with kosher salt and black pepper, then sprinkle on the flour, give it a good mix with a wooden spoon, and let it brown for 5-7 minutes.
4. Cancel the saute function, and add the remaining ingredients for the instant pot: onion, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, water, beef bouillon, a few sprinkles of fresh thyme, and the rinsed pearl barley.
5. Set the instant pot, manually, to cook at high pressure for 45 mins. When it has finished cooking, instant-release the pressure.
6. In a blender, combine the flour, butter and balsamic with three ladles of the hot stew, picking out any chunks of meat and mushrooms that we don’t want to blend.
7. Set the Instant Pot to saute, pour the mixture into the pot, and stir for just long enough for it to thicken slightly (30 seconds to a minute).
Garnish with fresh thyme. Serve with crostini or a good, crusty loaf.