Today my daughter was home from school sick, and when I asked her what she wanted for lunch, instead of requesting the classic chicken noodle soup, she requested this thai chicken coconut soup instead, which is one of our favorites. I know I throw the word “favorite/favoUrite” around a lot, (don’t mind me, I never know whether to spell British or American English)! But seriously, this is mine and my kids most-loved soup, and it checks so many of the boxes too: super quick & simple to make and to clean up, healthy (enough!) Feeds a crowd, (or makes plenty for leftovers), and everyone seems to love it. Minus my husband who would prefer a 5-star spicy Tom Yum instead. (Which I can post about later). Anyway, if you love thai food, coconut soup, or just want to try something different to your standard chicken noodle, try this recipe! I hope it becomes one of your new favorites too!
Tom Yum (Thai Chicken Coconut Soup)
Prep Time: 10 Mins
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced into small wedges
- 3 tsp lazy garlic
- 1 tsp ginger paste/ground ginger
- 1 Lb Chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 (15oz) cans coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp (herb ox) chicken bouillon
- 16 tsp Tom Kha paste/1 small jar
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- juice of 2 limes
- Cilantro to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium high-heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and sauté until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add the chicken and mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are tender, and chicken is cooked through, or no longer pink inside, (about 7 minutes).
- Add the coconut milk, chicken stock, Tom Kha paste, fish sauce and sugar. Stir and heat through. Add the lime juice, serve, then garnish with fresh cilantro.