This is one of my favorite go-to family meals of all time, and I have lost count of how many times I have made it, although I can clearly remember the first time. We were sailing around the San Juan Islands with my husbands parents, the weather was getting cool, and we had a bowl of this Chili under blankets up on deck, in the middle of the serene Puget Sound. Everyone loved it, and it warmed us right up– it was the perfect thing to serve then, and it’s the perfect dish to serve now that the weather is getting cool again.
I love how quick, easy, healthy and crowd-pleasing this dish is! Because there are so many choices for toppings, people can serve it how they like it. I love finding those dishes that my WHOLE family love, so I don’t have to make a separate kids meal, or eat “kid food!” This is probably why I make this recipe so much, aaaaand because it brings me back to being on that sailboat out in the middle of the beautiful San Juans! I hope you love this recipe as much as my family has:
White Chicken Chili
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Ingredients: Recipe adapted from cookingclassy
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp lazy garlic
- 1 small onion , diced
- 1 Lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 tsp Herb Ox Chicken Boullion
- 4 cups water
- 1 (7 oz) can green Ortega chilis
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8 oz) pkg Neufchatel/light cream cheese
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Serving ideas: Fresh cilantro, avocado, lime wedges, Monterrey Jack cheese, tortilla chips, hot sauce
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-4 mins until fragrant, add the chopped chicken, season with sea salt and pepper, and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 6-8 minutes.
2. Add the chicken broth, green chilies, cumin, paprika, coriander, cayenne pepper and season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture just to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Stir in fresh, uncooked corn kernels, and 1 can of Cannellini beans. Add the other can of Cannellini beans, 1/2 cup broth and Neufchatel cheese to a blender and process until smooth and creamy. Add to the saucepan, and stir to combine.
4. Simmer for 5 minutes, until the corn is cooked through. taste and adjust seasonings, and add a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Top with fresh cilantro, avocado, lime wedges, Monterrey Jack cheese, tortilla chips, or hot sauce.