Last weekend we stayed with my husband’s parents, and his Mum made a huge batch of her perfect snickerdoodle cookies, which everyone just adores! They’re soft and warm, and covered in cinnamon and sugar, which makes them the perfect Autumn treat! This a family recipe that has been passed down, and just can’t seem to be beat! So, I am excited to share another beautifully simple family fave, that I hope will become one of yours too!
- 1 c. shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 c. sifted flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- Mixture of sugar and cinnamon (about a 2:1 ratio).
1. Preheat the oven to 350degF. Cream the shortening and sugar for a minute or two, then add the eggs one at a time, and a tsp vanilla.
2. By hand, mix in the sifted flour, baking soda and cream of tartar.
3. Roll balls of dough (a TBSP or larger) into cinnamon and sugar.
4. Place on an un-greased cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes, then flatten slightly and leave to cool on the tray.