A few summer’s ago I discovered this fresh, flavorful, sweet and spicy, vinaigrette-based coleslaw recipe, and loved it so much, I haven’t made a creamy, mayo-based one ever again! My husband was convinced he hated coleslaw because he was judging by that kind you find at deli’s and KFC that is bland with a hint of tangy and so bad for you! But this version changed his mind, and i’m convinced it will change yours too.
I make this recipe a lot every summer– it is perfect as a side for Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken (which I will post about later), BBQ Chicken, Fried Chicken, basically, any type of chicken, and today I used it in shrimp tacos. I love it so much I find myself eating it straight from the bowl, and I don’t even feel bad about it, because i’m pretty much just eating a rainbow of all things good for me… now if I can just convince my kids to love it too!
There is a small downside to this recipe though. Like most things that are super healthy for you, it requires some time and effort to prepare, although a food processor will speed things up, and make it easier. It is SO worthwhile however if you need to bring a side to feed a crowd, or if you are using the coleslaw in a few dishes throughout the week (as a side to all those summer chicken recipes and tacos you want to make!)
Prep Time: 20 mins
- 3 ears fresh corn, shucked and cut off the cobb (2 cups kernels)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded or grated (2 cups)
- 1 jalapeno, halved and thinly sliced, seeds and ribs removed if desired
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 head green cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 Tbsp honey
- Juice of 3 limes (1/4 cup)
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1. Combine the corn, cilantro, carrots, jalapeños, bell peppers, red cabbage, onions and green cabbage in a large mixing bowl. Add the oil, vinegar, honey and lime juice to the bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Stir well, and serve.
Enjoy this recipe and your summer guys
<3 Sarah XO