Six weeks from today my little family are headed to Hawaii, so I feel like it’s time to get into shape! I am horrible at dieting because I don’t like to be hungry all the time, and I am not so great at exercising because I am a big sissy! But this steel-cut oatmeal recipe is one of my secrets to losing weight fast, because it’s only 150 calories, and keeps me feeling full all morning long.
There is just one set back– it takes 35 minutes to make! On a busy school-rush morning while i’m simultaneously spoon feeding a baby, while styling my daughters hair, while looking for my sons shoes, which he loses everyday!
Luckily some genius invented “late start” where my kiddos get to go to school an hour late on Monday mornings, so I make a BIG batch of steel cut oats, then reheat them for a quick, healthy delicious breakfast for my family all week long! I love having a healthy start to our day, because it usually ends the way it should, with dessert!
Cook Time: 35 mins
Recipe adapted from cookieandkate
- 3 cups 1% milk (substitute coconut milk for vegan)
- 9 cups water
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3 cups steel-cut oats
- 1 tsp salt
- Optional Toppings: Brown sugar, cocoa powder/chocolate chips, jam, peanut butter, nuts
1. In a large saucepan, combine the water and milk and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
2. Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a skillet, add the steel-cut oats, and cook until toasted, golden and fragrant (2-3 minutes).
3. Stir the oats into the simmering milk & water, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, but more consistently during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Add your favourite toppings! I put several on for a beautiful pic, but really I like to keep mine plain and simple with 1 tsp brown sugar and a pinch of cocoa powder. For an additional 30 calories I have a sweet, creamy, chocolatey breakfast I love, that’s both filling and healthy!
What are your favourite things to put in Oatmeal?